The Total figure is simply sum of the costs & charges incurred by your portfolios, we then convert this into a percentage (%) figure by dividing it by your average balance for the reporting period.
Question: why are they occasionally very different?
The cumulative effect considers the impact these charges had on your portfolio performance in % terms. i.e. If your portfolio was up 10.0% over the year and your report shows a cumulative effect of charges as 0.50%. The portfolio would have been up 10.5% without these charges.
These figures can vary dramatically in certain scenarios - where portfolio values have changed significantly over the course of the year.